Thursday, April 30, 2009

I love the North!!

This little trip has to be one of my favourites since being over here. We only went away for 4 days but it was to the most loveliest places. We first took a long bus ride (5.5hrs) to Liverpool where after a friendly chat with the hostel chick we were off to The Beatles Experience!! I was super excited about this and rightly so, it was a great museum with so much info on the band. By the end of it we both had an overload and probably really couldn't tell you what we had just read. So to digest it all we sat down with a coffee while I contemplated which Beatles memorabilia I was going to purchase from the shop! I think I have chosen well and only spent a mini fortune instead of an actual fortune...lucky Liz was there to help me see sense.
After a look around the city, which is just beautiful, as everything is shiny and new as they were Cultural Capital of Europe last year and had a huge revamp. Albert Dock was really nice and we were quite bummed that we only had 24 hours here. That night we went to a pub and watch Liverpool play Chelsea, was really great as all the locals were there in their Liverpool jerseys yelling and hugging everytime they scored. Unfortunately Liverpool lost by 1 goal. No one was happy then. But I have officially declared Liverpool as my favourite city and I think I will even by a I heart Liverpool mug.

The next morning we set off to the train station to head to The Lakes District. It was a short but scenic trip and I was reminded again how much I love trains in comparison to the evil buses to travel. The Lakes is actually made up of 10 or so lakes with little towns next to them. Our little town was Windermere where the biggest lake of them all lives. It was adorable. We stayed in a backpackers which was nice but with very uncomfortable beds. And as soon as we had dropped our stuff off we went straight to the tourist office to get some directions for some of the many walks in our area. We did a short walk to one of the summits, it was classed as a 'C' grade walk so it was really easy. The views were brilliant but the wind was so strong I felt like I was going to go flying off!

Over the next 2 days we did 2 more walks one which was a 'B' walk, now I looked at the 'A' walks and decided against them since they encouraged strongly for you to use a compass, since we didn't have one and I don't know how to read one if my life depended on it we thought it best to stick with the lower grades! What I loved about these walks was that you actually went through peoples farms, climbed over rock walls and past about a million sheep. It was fantastic!! We did have to learn new terminology where a 'cairn' means a pile of rocks, a 'stile' is a wooden or rock ladder over a fence and a few others which I won't bore you with!

We also managed to spend a few lazy moments by Lake Windermere which was just lovely and wandered through the both Windermere and Bowness-on-Windermere, which is the town right beside the lake. Had some great food, relaxed and was the perfect way to finish up our holidays.

The only bad thing to happen the whole trip really was coming back down to London, we had to change change 3 times just to get to Liverpool. At one change we were on a train that went all the way to London and arrived at 5pm. Our bus out of Liverpool only left at 4pm and we were looking at another 5 hours til we hit home. We decided to enquire on how much a ticket would be on this super fast train.....65 quid. Each. You can safely assume that decided that the bus was the best option for us!!

1 comment:

Nova Hunter said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GORGEOUS... LOTS OF LOVE ANDREW NOVA WILLIAM AND KYLE. Love reading about your trip, miss you heaps and give cuddles to liz for us... byeeeeeeeeeee